R-1 Religious Worker Visa

An R-1 is a non-immigrant visa that allows a foreign worker to come to the United States temporarily to perform duties of a religious worker.  The religious worker must prove that he/she is a member of a religious denomination for at least 2 years, who will work at a qualified organization, as either a minister, a religious professional, or in a religious vocation or occupation.


Our immigration law office can help you with the following:

  • If you are a U.S. employer who would like to hire a foreign worker in a religious capacity or if you are a foreign worker, who was hired by a U.S. employer we can make sure that all eligibility requirements are met.
  • If you currently hold an R-1 visa, we can help you in filing for an extension and/or filing for a change of status.
  • Certain religious vocations qualify for adjustment of status to permanent resident, we will determine whether you are eligible to apply.
  • If you do not qualify for an R-1 visa, we can discuss your particular situation and determine if there are any other visas for which you may be eligible.