Green Card for Parents

To schedule your consultation for help obtaining a green card for your parent, please contact us at 954.241.4209.

To obtain a green card for parents of U.S. citizens, adult children must file a petition with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on behalf of their parents. Success in the process of obtaining a green card for parents depends on the proper submission of important paperwork. This means that mistakes or errors could delay your application.

The immigration and nationality attorneys of The Law Offices of Robert M. Bell, P.A. will work to ensure your documentation is filed properly and on time. Our knowledgeable team can help you navigate the process of obtaining green cards for parents of U.S. citizens.

Get Help with U.S. Immigration Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

Our immigration attorneys can help you apply for a green card on behalf of your parents. Here are some of the important forms our attorneys will submit for your application:

  • U.S. Immigration Form I-130 “Petition for Alien Relative.” This form is the first step in helping an eligible parent obtain a green card. If you are an adult over the age of 21 and a U.S. citizen, you may file on behalf of your parents. Individuals with lawful permanent resident status rather than U.S. citizenship are not eligible to apply for a green card for parents.  
  • U.S. Immigration Form I-485 “Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.” Also known as the AOS form, this document allows your parents to apply for lawful permanent resident status from within the U.S.
  • U.S. Immigration Form I-864 “Affidavit of Support.” This form helps family-based immigrants such as parents to show that they will not need to rely on the U.S. government for financial support. 
  • U.S. Immigration Form I-601 “Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility.” This form can be used by your parent to apply for a waiver of certain grounds of inadmissibility. The application will require evidence to support the case, so it can be helpful to work with an experienced immigration attorney to complete this form. 
  • U.S. Immigration Form I-944 “Declaration of Self-Sufficiency.” This form is used to determine whether an applicant is likely to become a public charge at any time in the future. Due to a new nationwide law, Form I-944 must be filed with many applications for adjustment of status.

Documentation and proper filing are integral to the process of obtaining a green card for parents. It is important to speak with an attorney to avoid costly mistakes and delays.

Green Card for Parents Timeline

While the paperwork will vary for your unique situation, obtaining a green card for parents may involve one of two general timelines. Remember that the time listed for each step is an approximation and the process could take considerably longer when agencies experience backlogs. 

Adjustment of Status

If your parent is currently in the United States and seeking a green card, he or she may be able to file their forms at the same time you file the I-130 petition. Here is how this type of green card processing works:

  • Preparation of Filling You are required to file a packet of application forms with supporting documents with USCIS. A qualified immigration attorney can explain the forms and documentation that will be required in your particular circumstances.
  • Interview and Approval A local USCIS office may interview you and your parent to review the applications and ask relevant background questions.  After the interview, USCIS will make a decision or request additional evidence. If approved, your parent will receive a lawful permanent resident card (also known as a green card.) 

Consular Processing

This is the process for helping your parent get a green card while he or she is living outside the U.S. Here is a general roadmap for you to follow.  Processing times are subject to change.

  • USCIS Processing of I-130 Petition (7-11 months).  You will file the I-130 petition and evidence as the first step in the process of obtaining a green card for your parent.
  • Immigrant Visa Application (3-6 months). If your I-130 petition is approved, USCIS will send the approved petition to the National Visa Center (NVC), and the State Department will open an immigrant visa case. Additional paperwork will be required. The NVC will collect more information and documents from you and your parent.
  • Interview and Approval (3 or more months). Once the NVC has received all necessary documents, the U.S. embassy or consulate in your parent’s country of citizenship will schedule an interview. If approved, your parent will be issued an immigrant visa that can be used to enter the U.S.  The green card will be mailed to your parent after arrival in the U.S.

Contact an Immigration Lawyer to Help Obtain a Green Card for your Parents

The dedicated immigration attorneys at The Law Offices of Robert M. Bell, P.A. can help your parents work through the process of obtaining a green card. Our experienced lawyers can assist at any stage in the process. To get started today, please call us at (954) 241-4209.