Law Offices Of Robert M. Bell, P.A. | Immigration And Nationality Attorneys
Robert M. Bell, P.A.

An Immigration Law Firm You Can Trust

The attorneys of Law Offices of Robert M. Bell, P.A.
Law Offices Of Robert M. Bell | Immigration And Nationality Attorneys

Application For Certificate Of Citizenship And Application For A U.S. Passport (N 600/DS-11)

If at least one of your parents is a U.S. citizen but you were born outside the U.S., you may qualify for automatic acquisition of U.S. citizenship. If you qualify, you will need to file Form N-600 (Application for Certificate of Citizenship) to establish your U.S. citizen status. The Certificate of Citizenship makes you eligible for all U.S. citizen privileges, including a U.S. passport and the right to assistance from a U.S. embassy or consulate when traveling abroad. You may also participate in U.S. democracy by voting.

For trusted legal advice on obtaining a Certificate of Citizenship and submitting an Application for U.S. Passport (N-600/DS-11), contact us at Robert M. Bell, P.A., immigration and nationality attorneys serving South Florida.

Who Can File An Application For Certificate Of Citizenship?

You may be eligible to submit Form N-600 if you fall under one of the following categories:

  • You were born abroad to a U.S. citizen, or a U.S. citizen legally adopted you abroad
  • One of your parents is or was a green card holder who obtained U.S. citizenship after your birth and before you turned 18
  • You are a U.S. citizen applying for citizenship on behalf of your natural or adopted child under 18

USCIS’s decision to approve or deny an Application for Certificate of Citizenship may depend on various factors. For example, if you were born out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen father and a foreign national mother, you may need to provide evidence of your paternity.

Filing An Application For U.S. Passport (N-600/DS-11)

After USCIS issues your Certificate of Citizenship (or possibly beforehand), you may apply for a U.S. passport. To complete your passport application, you will need to:

  • File Form DS-11
  • Provide your Certificate of Citizenship and any relevant ID, like a driver’s license or birth certificate
  • Submit a passport-style photograph taken up to six months before your application
  • Pay your passport fees and submit the form with supporting documents through a passport acceptance facility

Do You Need An Immigration Lawyer For Citizenship Documents?

While you can file all USCIS forms yourself, working with an experienced immigration attorney can help you avoid legal mistakes, shorten processing times, and promote your citizenship application.

Our skilled legal team at Robert M. Bell, P.A., will:

  • Make sure your N-600 form follows all USCIS requirements
  • Identify which supporting documentation you will need for your application (like evidence of your blood relationship with a U.S. citizen parent and your parent’s physical presence in the U.S.)
  • Use any legal means to expedite your application process
  • Help you prepare for a personal USCIS interview if necessary
  • Appeal your case if USCIS denies your application for citizenship

Get Reliable Legal Support On Your Path To U.S. Citizenship

At Robert M. Bell, P.A., we will represent you for your Application for Certificate of Citizenship and any other procedures you need to complete on your way to prove your U.S. citizen status. We’ll support you every step of the way, from gathering supporting documents to pushing for a decision if delayed, until you receive your American passport.

For a consultation regarding an Application for Certificate of Citizenship and Application for U.S. Passport (N-600/DS-11), call us at our Hollywood office at 954-400-3156 or complete our online contact form.