Law Offices Of Robert M. Bell, P.A. | Immigration And Nationality Attorneys
Robert M. Bell, P.A.

An Immigration Law Firm You Can Trust

The attorneys of Law Offices of Robert M. Bell, P.A.
Law Offices Of Robert M. Bell | Immigration And Nationality Attorneys

Application To Replace Or Renew Permanent Resident Card (I-90) In Florida

If you need to renew your 10-year permanent resident green card or replace a damaged, destroyed, or stolen green card, be sure to file an Application to Replace or Renew Permanent Resident Card on Form I-90. This application should be filed between five and six months prior to the expiration of your green card, or you could face costly delays.

In the paragraphs below, our South Florida immigration attorneys at Robert M. Bell, P.A., describe the procedures to update your permanent resident status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

When Should A Permanent Resident Renew Their Green Card?

A permanent resident should complete their Application to Replace or Renew Permanent Resident Card (I-90) five to six months before their 10-year permanent resident card expires. USCIS often rejects applications filed earlier than six months before expiration.

If you have a two-year conditional green card, you must file Form I-751, the Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. Do not file Form I-90.

Should You File A Form I-90 Online Or Via Mail?

Under certain circumstances, you may have options to file either online or by mail. Some situations require that you apply by mail, including:

  • You are applying to waive the fee.
  • You never received a green card issued to you.
  • The green card you received contained an error by USCIS.
  • Your 10-year green card will not expire before you turn 16, and you received it before turning 14.

You may apply online (or by mail) under other conditions, such as:

  • You need a standard green card renewal for expiration within six months
  • You need a replacement for a lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed green card.
  • You need to update your name, address, or other personal information.
  • You need an updated version of your green card.
  • You’re a “commuter” into the U.S. for work.
  • USCIS automatically updated your legal status to “green card holder.”

What Documents Should You Include In Your I-90 Application?

Depending on the specific conditions of your application, you may need to provide copies of additional documentation, including:

  • Your green card
  • Government-issued photo ID including name, birthdate, and signature
  • Your most recent Form I-797 Notice of Action
  • Your passport page with an I-551 stamp, if any
  • Name change documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, adoption papers, divorce papers, other legal documentation)
  • Evidence of U.S. employment within the prior six months
  • Proof of U.S. residence
  • Proof of temporary resident status
  • If you have committed any criminal offenses during the period prior to expiration of your permanent resident status, include criminal records and consider including evidence of your rehabilitation.

A knowledgeable U.S. immigration attorney can help you determine which documents you need to file along with your Form I-90.

How Long Will It Take For USCIS To Process Your Renewal Application?

It could take two years or more for USCIS to process and approve your I-90 to issue a renewed green card. In the meantime, you will receive an I-797 receipt that contains a Notice of Action with 24-month temporary evidence of residence from the USCIS when they receive your application. If you require further evidence of residence, we can help you obtain an I-551 stamp.

Contact Our South Florida Immigration Attorneys For Help With Your I-90 Application

Trust our experienced immigration attorneys at Robert M. Bell, P.A., to help you complete your Application to Replace or Renew Permanent Resident Card (I-90) in South Florida. Call us at 954-400-3156 or contact us online today.