Law Offices Of Robert M. Bell, P.A. | Immigration And Nationality Attorneys
Robert M. Bell, P.A.

An Immigration Law Firm You Can Trust

The attorneys of Law Offices of Robert M. Bell, P.A.
Law Offices Of Robert M. Bell | Immigration And Nationality Attorneys

Green Cards For Parents

To obtain green cards for parents of U.S. citizens, adult children must file a petition with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on behalf of their parents. Success in the process of obtaining a green card for a parent depends on the proper submission of important paperwork. Any mistakes or errors could delay your application.

At Robert M. Bell, P.A., we are dedicated immigration attorneys who will work to ensure that the documentation for your family-based immigration needs is filed properly and on time. We help clients in Hollywood and across South Florida with the process of obtaining green cards for parents of U.S. citizens.

The Affidavit Of Support

The U.S. Immigration Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, allows applicants to demonstrate that they will not need to rely on the U.S. government for financial support. This is an important form for a number of reasons but chiefly because the government will often reject applicants who may appear to be burdens to the state.

Green Cards For Parents Timeline

While the paperwork will vary for your unique situation, obtaining a green card for a parent may involve one of two general timelines. Remember that the time listed for each step is an approximation, and the process could take considerably longer when agencies experience backlogs. Those timelines are as follows:

Adjustment Of Status (AOS)

If your parent is currently in the United States and is seeking a green card, they may be able to file their forms at the same time that you file the I-130 petition. Here is how this type of green card processing works:

  • Preparation of filling: You are required to file a packet of application forms with supporting documents with USCIS. A qualified immigration lawyer can explain the forms and documentation that will be required in your particular circumstances.
  • Interview and approval: A local USCIS office may interview you and your parent to review the applications and ask relevant background questions. After the interview, USCIS will make a decision or request additional evidence.

Consular Processing

This is the process for helping your parent get a green card while they are living outside the U.S. Processing times are subject to change, but here is a general road map for you to follow:

  • USCIS processing of I-130 petition: You will file the I-130 petition and evidence as the first step in the process of obtaining a green card for your parent.
  • Immigrant visa application: If your I-130 petition is approved, USCIS will send the approved petition to the National Visa Center (NVC), and the State Department will open an immigrant visa case. Additional paperwork will be required. The NVC will collect more information and documents from you and your parent.
  • Interview and approval: Once the NVC has received all necessary documents, the U.S. embassy or consulate in your parent’s country of citizenship will schedule an interview.

Overall, you can wait more than 20 months for consular processing to finish.

Contact An Immigration Lawyer To Help Obtain A Green Card For Your Parents

At Robert M. Bell, P.A., we are dedicated immigration attorneys who can help your parents work through the process of obtaining a green card. As experienced lawyers, we can assist you at any stage in the process. To get started today, please call us at 954-400-3156 or send an email using this form.