Law Offices Of Robert M. Bell, P.A. | Immigration And Nationality Attorneys
Robert M. Bell, P.A.

An Immigration Law Firm You Can Trust

The attorneys of Law Offices of Robert M. Bell, P.A.
Law Offices Of Robert M. Bell | Immigration And Nationality Attorneys

Advice to Potential Applicants for Deferred Action Status

On Behalf of | Aug 2, 2012 | Uncategorized

On June 15, 2012, DHS Secretary Napolitano announced that deferred action status would be considered for individuals who:

1) Came to the United States under age sixteen;
2) have continuously resided in the United States from June 15, 2007 through June 15, 2012;
3) are currently in school, have graduated from high school, have obtained a general education development certificate, or are either serving in the armed forces or have been honorably discharged;
4) have not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor offense, multiple misdemeanor offenses, or otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety; and
5) are not above age thirty.

If you believe that you may qualify for this benefit, you should begin gathering documents to prove that you meet the requirements. Obtain a copy of your birth certificate. Gather every piece of evidence you can find to show that you were in the United States before your sixteenth birthday, and that you remained here throughout the required five-year period. Documents such as school records, medical records, rental agreements and tax returns are very helpful, and many other types of documents can help as well.

If you are in school, obtain a copy of your transcripts from your school’s registrar. If you have graduated or have a GED, make sure you have a copy. If you have been discharged from the military, get a copy of your DD-214.

If you have ever been in any trouble with the law, even if you were not formally arrested, request certified copies of your records from the court.

To request further information or to schedule an appointment, please contact our office.